Pages

Thursday, September 3, 2015

My Love Affair with a Blender

This past Mother's Day, Josh and the babies got me a Vitamix blender. I had been talking about this blender for almost three years, swooning over it every time we walked through Williams Sonoma or Macy's; and, every time Josh looked at me like I was crazy for wanting such an expensive "toy" -- who spends that kind of money on a blender?? 

I suppose he had a change of heart this spring after our blender broke twice and I was nearing the end of my two months on bedrest (I promise I didn't play the sympathy card!), because my beloved blender showed up on our doorstep! He was still skeptical and just shook his head while I squealed with delight and listed all the things we could make with this bad boy.



So far I have made some pretty incredible smoothies--seriously, they rival Smoothie King--and homemade marinara sauce. I can't wait for cooler weather to make soup, as I've been bookmarking recipes all summer. I also really want to try making peanut or almond butter, and eventually I'll puree fruits and veggies for the girls.

I'd like to share my favorite smoothie recipe with you today. It's an easy, tasty way to get some greens and you can vary the fruit and dairy sources as well. I choose to use Greek yogurt for the extra protein and almond milk because it's supposed to help increase milk production while breastfeeding, and I like the vanilla flavors because they counteract the slight bitterness of the greens. 



Good Morning Green Smoothie

1 cup Silk vanilla almond milk
two handfuls Organic Girl baby spinach/baby kale mix (or whatever greens you prefer)
1 single serve vanilla Greek yogurt (I like both Yoplait and Dannon)
1 banana
approx. 1/4 rolled oats (also supposed to increase milk production!)
handful of ice cubes

Blend until smooth and enjoy! 



This summer I've also enjoyed adding a green apple or fresh peach to the mix. You can substitute berries, but you won't get that nice bright green color for the smoothie. 

I hear babies on the monitor, so I better go get the little ladies for our next feeding! Hope you all have a fantastic day! 

Let me know what kinds of smoothies you're making -- I would love to try some new recipes!




No comments:

Post a Comment