Pages

Sunday, January 1, 2017

No Resolutions for this Girl

Happy New Year! I hope you've all had a great Sunday to start 2017, whether you are taking it easy after a little too much champagne last night (been there) or are doing chores around the house like me. We had a pretty low key NYE celebration. We ran errands and went out for an early family dinner date before everything got too crowded with the real party people. We came home and cuddled up for a bit, and yes, we were all asleep well before midnight. Toddler life, right?

We did NY date night Thursday for a cooking class -- so fun!!
I've been thinking a lot about the idea of resolutions for this year. I have always been a goal setter, and in the past I've actually written down very official resolutions in my planner or on post-its. I have to tell you, I've never really kept them. At least not to the degree which they were intended. For a long time I'd get really upset with myself if I hadn't met those resolutions after a few months and then just forgot about them. So, this year I'm not making any resolutions. Instead, I'm setting a few intentions to work on little by little throughout the year. I don't have any definitive goal in mind. It's all a work in progress.

Miss Molly has never met a basket she didn't sit in.
I think I mentioned in a previous post that I turned 30 this past July, and I made a decision to be better to myself. No more pressuring myself to look a certain way, no more scowling at my belly that has loose skin and stretch marks after carrying our girls, and no more feeling inadequate because I haven't reached a certain professional status yet. Have I perfected those things? No, but I'm trying.

Glamorous NYE selfie with Miss Maddie.
That decision around my birthday is what inspired me to toss out the idea of resolutions for this new year. If you'll indulge me, I'd like to share a few of my intentions.

  • Read more books. I can't tell you the last time I finished a book. It might have been when I was pregnant -- that's over a year and a half ago! I have at least 5 books that I look at on a daily basis that I am itching to dive into. There might have to be a few nap times during the week when I just sit and read rather than fold laundry or do dishes.
  • Become members at a church. This is something my husband and I talk about often. We haven't gone to church much with the girls because we're those people dropping snacks, taking peoples' prayer books, crawling under the pews, you get it. We would just like to establish ourselves somewhere to meet other families and get more involved, especially as Molly and Maddie get closer to school age.
  • Meal plan. Ugh, this is not one of my strengths. We spend so much money on food, and I get really annoyed with myself when we waste things because I just didn't know what to fix with them. I have hundreds of recipes saved on Pinterest, and I have close to 30 cookbooks filled with fun things to make for dinner, so I really want to try to get into a rhythm of jotting down what I'm going to fix each night, and how we can use the leftovers in other ways. 
  • Start an e-mail account for Molly and Maddie. I've heard of other moms setting up an account for their kids when they're babies and sending them funny stories, pictures, videos, and letters of advice or random thoughts. They give the kids the account information when they graduate high school and it's filled with everything from their childhood that is just for them. I've wanted to work on that for over a year now, and I'm just going to make the time to do it.
  • Just do it. I think that's going to be my theme for 2017. I'm done saying "I wish I could do this" or "I wonder if I could do this" -- I'm just going to try all those things I've been afraid to do and see how it goes. This blog is my first step in that. I've thought about all I want to talk about for years, but I've hesitated because I was afraid. Now, I'm just a little afraid, but that's okay because I am so enjoying this little creative outlet.
Words to live by, right? This guy now hangs in our house!
Thank you for taking the time to stop by. I'd love to hear what you've got planned for 2017 -- maybe you'll even consider making some intentions as well! Cheers, friends! 

No comments:

Post a Comment